Popcorn & Chill
You invite that special someone over for a little romance, compliments of Netflix. You’re trying not to let your nerves get the best of you when suddenly you remember, it’s just a movie night. What could possibly go wrong? You snuggle up together, faces lit up by the dim light of the screen when they ask, “So what are we watching?”
Your palms start sweating. How could you do this? You forgot to pick a movie. You start scrolling through the options but don’t know where to click.
I, Alex Gerberick have come to the rescue with a list of my top 5 favorite movies available to stream on Netflix. In case you forgot the snacks, I have some delicious popcorn pairings all of which can be made with microwave, stovetop, or just pre-popped popcorn.
Here’s my guide to navigating the black hole known as Netflix streaming:
What more can I say? Disney has outdone themselves once again with another awesome flick that has a little something for everyone. If you’re looking to watch an adorable bunny take the animal world by storm, this is the movie for you. If you’re looking for a movie with some societal symbolism, this is also the movie for you. This movie is light-hearted and playful- a good pick for anyone who loves Disney or wants to feel like a kid again. Pair this with Circus Animal Popcorn for ultimate viewing pleasure.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a medium sauce pan. Once the butter is melted, add the mini marshmallows. Stir thoroughly until melted. Turn off the heat as soon as melted completely so it doesn’t burn.
- Slowly pour the marshmallow mixture over the salted popcorn. The more of the marshmallow mix you add the stickier and sweeter it will be. Be sure to set a little bit to the side for the next step. Fold the mixture throughout the popcorn until completely covered.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil, and spread the popcorn marshmallow mixture evenly across it. Drizzle the remaining marshmallow mixture over top but do not mix it in. This will act as an adhesive for the Circus Cookies. Sprinkle the Rainbow Sprinkles on top, then top with the Circus Animal Cookies.
- 10 cups of salted popped popcorn. It is completely fine to pop the corn in the microwave, but stovetop is also yummy
3 tablespoons sweet cream or salted butter
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- Circus Animal Cookies, broken in half
- Rainbow Sprinkles (can be found in the baking aisle of any grocery store)
This my friends is a classic. The crew is all back together after their first heist in Oceans 11, but don’t worry, seeing Oceans 11 isn’t necessary to enjoy the second installment. IMDb only gives this film a 6.8/10 but they obviously do not appreciate Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Julia Roberts, or a young Matt Damon (honestly, what a great cast) in this action-packed movie. This movie is great for anyone who likes action movies with some suspense, but isn’t into gore or lots of violence. This movie can feel a little cheesy at times, but is definitely a modern day classic. We recommend enjoying it with some Cheddar Cheese Popcorn.
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup cheddar cheese powder
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large brown paper bag, combine the popcorn and butter by shaking the bag while pouring the butter in a slow stream.
- Once all the butter is in, roll the bag closed and shake it really well. Combine the remaining ingredients (cheddar cheese powder, mustard powder and salt) in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over the popcorn while shaking the bag. Roll it back up and shake vigorously.
If indie movies are more up your alley, Moonrise Kingdom is a great choice. This Wes Anderson film is set in the 1960's at a summer camp, and follows the story of a rogue camper who runs off to be with his love. The film portrays Anderson's signature storytelling style with standout performances by Bruce Willis and Bill Murray. Pair this film with S'mores Popcorn to get in the camping spirit.
- 1 bag of unbuttered microwave popcorn
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 cups of graham cracker pieces and parts
- scoop of shortening
- Spread your popcorn on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Melt 1 cup of milk chocolate chips and a small scoop of shortening in the microwave.
- Spoon into a small Ziploc bag while hot. Snip a corner off the bag to drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn in a zig zag fashion. Sprinkle mini marshmallows and graham cracker crumbles on top of the melted chocolate.
- Melt the remaining chocolate with a scoop of shortening and drizzle over top to secure the marshmallow and graham cracker bits.
Stranger Things is a must see. This Netflix original series should be enjoyed in the company of someone who is in it for the long haul i.e. you're going to be with them for at least 8 episodes. Set in the 80's, Stranger Things follows the story of three boys on the search to find their missing friend. This show leans towards sci-fi but is an easy watch if you're not typically a sci-fi fan like me. I've paired Stranger Things with a delicious Maple Caramel Popcorn, playing off one of the character's love for Eggo Waffles. Watch the show, you'll get the reference.
- Over medium-low heat, melt maple sugar, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Stir until all sugar is dissolved, then increase heat to medium. Watching carefully, bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Let boil, stirring regularly, for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt, baking soda, and vanilla. Mixture will foam up a bit.
- Pour caramel mixture over popcorn and stir to coat. Spread out on parchment or waxed paper, and sprinkle with additional salt.
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup maple sugar
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- additional salt
- ½ cup pecans
Dunnnnnn DUN dunnnnnnn DUN. There's not much to say about Jaws, it's JAWS! A classic through and through. Pair this with my Ranch Popcorn Goldfish recipe.
- 1 1-ounce packet Ranch Salad Dressing and
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 1 bag Gold Fish Crackers
- In a small bowl add the oil, Ranch Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix, and garlic salt. Stir until completely mixed.
- In a 1-gallon-size Ziploc, add Gold Fish crackers, popcorn and oil mixture.
- Seal the bag and toss until well-coated.
That's okay! The Janet Leigh Theatre on campus features recent movies every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday free of charge for students. The films rotate, so check ASuop's website to see what's screening. Be sure to pick up a punch card when you go: if you see 4 movies you'll receive a free popcorn, and after your 8th you'll receive a free Regal Cinema Ticket!